HELLO summer! Living just seems a little easier when the days are longer and warmer, doesn’t it?! While we love to pair a balmy night with a cool cocktail we can’t help but think about that old buzzkill (AKA our alarm clock) ringing bright and early the next morning. The next best thing? Our Pink Paloma Tulips DIY! These gorgeous, jewel-toned fringe tulips and leather-wrapped vase are all the colors of a (tequila) sunrise with none of the ABV. To sweeten the deal we’ve also shipped you one of our favorite boozy candies from Sugarfina. Cheers to summer!
Tools You’ll Need: We’ve shipped you the tulips, vase and flower food for this DIY. All you’ll need is a sharp pair of scissors, shears or even a kitchen knife and some water!
- First, unwrap all of the elements in your box. Discard all packing materials but keep the paper the tulips arrived in - we like to save this to cover our workspace. It will catch all of the trimmings as you work and makes clean up a snap!
- Fill your vase ¾ of the way with cool tap water. Tulips like a big drink of water so don’t be shy here! Don’t forget to dissolve the contents of your flower food packet into the water before moving on to the next step.
- Time to get arranging! You’re the designer here - you can create as much (or as little) shape as you’d like! The only firm rule here is to give the stems a quick trim (a ½” will do!) before you place them in the vase.
- To create a staggered effect like we did, gently grasp the bundle of tulips in your hand. Pretending your hand is the vase, arrange the tulips to your desired height and fullness. We like to gently rotate the stems around so the heads fan out in all directions. This gives your arrangement an easier, more casual feel.
- With the tulips still in your hand, grab your scissors or shears and cut the stems below your fist. Pro Tip: as your tulips bloom the arrangement will look fuller and fuller. Starting your blooms taller will give them some breathing room as they open!
- Place your stems into your vase. Rearrange and give any stems an extra trim as you see fit. Remember - you are the designer! Once you’re done discard the paper and any trimmings. Move your arrangement to your favorite space and enjoy!
Parting Words: Frequent water changes and keeping your blooms away from hot spots will ensure you enjoy these beauties for days on end! Wish it was a little bit taller? Not to worry - tulips are one of the few flowers that will continue to grow once cut (up to an inch!). Enjoy the added height or give them daily trims to keep your original shape.